Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Platform Bed



My weekend project consisted of this brand new platform bed to fit the brand new KING sized mattress that I have been wanting to upgrade to for years! I used 1"x8"x8' select pine boards to complete the sides and legs. I connected them using pocket holes. The center support is a 2x6" and the slats are 1x4" and neither have to be the best "show" wood considering they are hidden.

** I would suggest considering how to disassemble the bed for moving. The way I connected everything will require it to be moved in one piece. **


The headboard is wider than the bed is. The purpose of this is that I will be installing wall lamps directly onto the headboard to provide lighting. I used the same 1x8" boards and attached them using the 1x4" remnants from the support slats of the bed frame.



The finished bed is amazing. The colors of the wall and the bed are perfect together. I wanted a custom bed, of good quality, that didn't cost a fortune and that's exactly the vision that was realized here. I attached the headboard to the wall using a french cleat, that you can make yourself or you can by from Home Depot or Lowes. 

I finished the room with a couple of side tables mounted to the wall. I wanted clean lines and no place for the clutter that bedside tables usually attract. Once the lighting is mounted to the headboard, the space on the tables will open up. (see finished pic above)




No comments:

Post a Comment